Monday 1 May 2017

REVIEW - FODMAP NAVIGATOR BY MARTIN STORR MD

Described as "an excellent chart book for everybody intending to go on or already conducting a low-FODMAP diet"

Title: FODMAP Navigator
Author: Martin Storr MD
Genre: Non-Fiction, Health & Wellbeing, Diet, Cookery
Release Date: 24th June 2015

BLURB from Goodreads
Presently the low-FODMAP diet (fermentable oligo-di and monosaccharides and polyols) is regarded being the most helpful diet for patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and other digestive disorders. Reducing FODMAP intake by consuming low-FODMAP foods and avoiding high-FODMAP foods may help to control or eliminate symptoms associated with these digestive diseases and may lead to a more comfortable belly. The countless number of books on the low-FODMAP diet serves as an indirect measure of the successfulness of the diet. For a varied and balanced low-FODMAP diet it is helpful to have information on the FODMAP rating for more than 50 foods. The FODMAP Navigator offers charts with FODMAP ratings for more than 500 foods, food additives and prebiotics.


PURCHASE LINKS

REVIEW
So this review is slightly out of the normal and different to the majority of reviews I do. Firstly this is a non-fiction book (which I do love reading non fiction too, on subjects I am interested in). 
Being totally new to this way of thinking and eating I was hoping for a simplified description of what FODMAP is and how it would help my digestive issues.
This book is about something personally close to me, my health. I suffer and have been diagnosed as having IBS for many years now, add to that my Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, and Menieres Disease and you will understand my eagerness to try this particular books suggested way of eating.
The cover is in my opinion quite eye-catching, bright green, a colour I myself associate with healthy food. I like that the title of the book is presented in too forms, the actual written title and the cover image of a compass/navigator.
The genre of this book is obviously non-fiction, a dietary advice book, and falls into a health and well-being genre.
Not knowing a lot about the specific "diet" covered in this book, or as I would prefer to say the FODMAP "way of eating"I was super enthusiastic to learn much more.
The book starts by explaining FODMAPs are a collection of short chain carbohydrates and sugar alcohols found in foods naturally or as food additives. FODMAPs include fructose (when in excess of glucose), fructans, galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS), lactose and polyols (eg. sorbitol and mannitol).
This book explains things well and even better there is an extensive list of foods that are then rated low or high in FODMAPS. The size of this book is perfect to slip in your handbag to be at hand to refer to whilst shopping or eating out.
The book also features some interesting sounding recipes too. Sadly I haven't had chance to attempt them yet as I am still eliminating certain foods at the trial or error phase. So far I have discovered a sensitivity toward gluten. The awkward thing now is functioning and eating without gluten in my diet. 
So my final thoughts are I found this book, helpful, interesting and informative as well as it being a first positive step to an improvement in my health and well-being. Useful, honest, information about a new way of eating that I find myself needing to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment