Friday 3 June 2016

PROMOTIONAL SPOTLIGHT - HEROES HAVEN BY MARIO SIMONE

Title: Heroes Haven
Author: Mario Simone
Genre: Graphic Novel
Publisher: Gotham City Films LLC
Release Date: 3rd May 2016

BLURB from Goodreads
In a post-apocalyptic Los Angeles, scientists are working to create a drug called V-1, to awaken "Superhero DNA Code” in the human body. A utopian society is born; the revolution is called Heroes Haven.

As V-1 testing unfolds to enlighten and heal the dregs of LA; hitmen, druggers, hookers and thieves, V-1 begins to synergize, and awakens gifts like healing, super strength, visions, and telekinesis… Alongside it came the risk of extremely dangerous side effects including madness, acute psychotic episodes, body altering paralysis, degeneration, suicides, and insane fits of rage that lead to murders.

In the dark shadows, a secret society is stealing the drug to test death row inmates and create immortal super soldiers. As the power of this secret society grows, imminent danger of tyranny and oppression now face the entire human race. The battle begins to control the drug that will create a new world order.

The only hope to save humanity… are the test subjects from Heroes Haven, the very dregs of society… with their broken souls; they managed to escape the facility and survive the psychotic, emotional and physical altercations and become " The Awakened Ones...”

It’s up to them to decide if they will "Awaken Their Inner Hero" and fight for the freedom of mankind.
 

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

How long did it take you to write Heroes Haven from the original idea to finishing writing it?
I started the book development back in 2013, and also worked on building the publishing division within Gotham City Films, so that I can control all aspects of design and story and then bring it to life in other platforms such as video games, TV and Film.

 What genre would you place Heroes Haven into?
 It crosses over a few different genres, because its an action adventure based in elements of horror and metaphysics, but essentially its really a character driven story with drama and heavy focus on characters obstacles and achieving enlightenment.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
 I really wanted to have all aspects of things that I enjoy in a graphic novel, edgy characters, edge of seat type action and horror and deep love stories that take you on a journey with those characters.

 Where did you get your book plot ideas from for Heroes Haven? What/Who is your inspiration?
 I done a lot of world traveling so I added a lot of philosophy and metaphysics to the story which gives a lot of meat and theories for the readers to chew on.

 How did you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for Heroes Haven? 
 Cover designs and titles always come to me in like a flash of lighting, its hits me so hard and so intense that I know when its time to bring something to life by how clear and hard the vision is of the title and the designs.

 Who designed the Cover?
 I did.  I designed every stitch of character looks, wardrobe and style of the book overall drafting out every layouts and shot designs.

 Did you basic plot/plan for Heroes Haven, before you actually begin writing it out? 
 Heroes Haven came to me like a big vision, like a massive painting, and I would see pieces of it at a time so I would jump wholeheartedly into those pieces and find the voice of the characters and then we would take the journey together to fill in the rest of the pieces in the painting.

 Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
 I am more of a go with the flow type of writer.  Its nice to have a sense of the direction, but the best part of writing to me is to jump into the darkness and see where the story goes and listen to voices of the characters that you have created.    There is still some structuring, and stuff, but I try not to focus to much on that and have fun with characters more spontaneously.  I feel like this way the writing has more of a vitality and emotion to it, then if its so planned.  Sometimes its seems scary this way because you have to go into dark places without a flashlight but the rewards of when a scene or character work and come together in the end is magnificent.

 Did you choose the title first, or write Heroes Haven then choose the title?
 For this particular book, the title came to me first like a comet crashing the earth.  I knew from the intensity of the vision that it was going to be a massive undertaking, with a huge story scope and deep characters that would not only transend the book into the hearts of the readers but also other mediums.  So it was a lot of pressure because I knew it was going to be a big world, and it was daunting to face that.  And when you are alone in your studio staring at blank pages, you are just like completely overwhelmed.  But then I just jumped in and started designing started writing, started building, and it was a long arduous journey but I am very pleased with the outcome.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
 Oh yes all the time.  I try to really put my emotions and psychological world into the characters, so I usually base it off experiences I have went through and transcend that into a story and character so the emotion is so real that you could almost taste it because I really live it as I am writing it.

 Do you have a favourite character from Heroes Haven? and why are they your favourite?
There are a lot of interesting characters and its really hard to pick a favorite because they are all some piece of me either emotionally spiritually or psychologically.  But If I had to choose I would say Venus, because a lot of her psyche is me and she has such a huge arc to go through in this story that I understand big challenges in life so I can feel it with her.  And she is just so damn cool.

 Do you think Heroes Haven would transfer to a movie well? 
Absolutely.  I am a filmmaker before I made this book, so I approached this like a I would a film.  Designing shots, and wardrobe and looks of the characters, and then building the world as if I would in a movie.  Thats why I have so much detailing in the book, I love the details.  Every panel and every emotion, and color palette all has a purpose to the way the book will make the reader feel, and that all came from my film background.

 Do you already have ideas for who you would like to play your characters?
 Yes, I think Jennifer Lawrence would make a great Venus, I would love to have Johnny Deep, and Viggo Mortensen in there as well.

Where can readers follow you?
Facebook page: heroeshaven1
Goodreads author page:
Twitter: @theheroeshaven

Instagram: theheroeshaven

No comments:

Post a Comment