Tuesday 5 August 2014

PROMOTION & INTERVIEW - SNIGGERLESS BOUNDULATIONS BY MORGAN BELL

Title: Sniggerless Bondulations
Author: Morgan Bell

BLURB from Goodreads
Debut collection of short stories by indie Australian author Morgan Bell. A cross-section between dreams and reality. An examination of the horrors of life, with plenty of peering, in the form of vignettes, micro fiction, flash fiction, and short stories. 

Themes include fear, time, aging, anxiety, and jealousy. 

This collection of fifteen stories contains bizarre medical conditions, industrious creatures, conniving cops, killers, dead bodies, a rescue mission, homoeroticism, nonchalant students, a secret garden, and the road to hell. 

Contains the stories: 

The Tunnel (173 words) 
Deep Water (127 words) 
Shark Fin Soup (507 words) 
The Dermoid Cyst (384 words) 
Mrs Jackson (644 words) 
It Had To Be Done (206 words) 
Granted (1034 words) 
The Package (482 words) 
Strings & Ribbons (131 words) 
Mini Play (485 words) 
Tiptoe Through The Tulips (523 words) 
Poppycock (327 words) 
Telfer Speck (1499 words) 
Earth Mites (409 words) 
Garsdale (539 words


BUY LINKS


AUTHOR INTERVIEW

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Morgan Bell, I am the author of Sniggerless Boundulations, a collection of fifteen very short stories. I was born in Melbourne and currently live in Sydney (Australia).

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I plan on releasing two more short story collections, the next one will be called Laissez Faire and will be out in late 2014, the third has no working title. Beyond that I have an outline for a speculative fiction novel, the working title is The Daughters of Mallory, one of the main characters may expand into other works in the future.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
I recently signed up to Story Cartel where I provide free reviewers copies of Sniggerless Boundulations in exchange for honest reviews. It is a limited time promotion that ends 23 June 2014 (http://storycartel.com/books/sniggerless-boundulations )

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes. Every single one. I absolutely love reading reviews, seeing how my readers interpret my stories, because many of them are very open ended.

What was the toughest/best review you have ever had?
The best review I ever had was the first review I ever had. Upon reading it I thought wow that book sounds great, I really want to read it, completely forgetting that I was the author. I think that review was better written than my book, the reviewer had gone to a great amount of trouble to read and consider every line I wrote. It made me very happy. I use excerpts from that review on my website and on promotional leaflets.

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
I always name my characters first, I try to pick names that sound like their attributes. It is my favourite part of creative writing, picking out names. I watch baby name videos of YouTube and study up on etymology and meanings.

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?
I recently started a mosaic class with a friend from work. It has been fabulous. I have two goldfish and a few flower pots that I endeavour to look after. I love tv and movies and going to the cinema. I also like pub trivia, creating digital art, photography, and drag queens.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde is my favourite book. I can honestly say it changed the way I viewed the world, it made me realise that perception and representation are relative. I read it as a teenager and always keep a copy close.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/ worst book to movie transfer?
I think the best films based on literature are adaptations of short stories. Two of my favourites are Stephen King’s Secret Window, Secret Garden (made into a Johnny Depp movie Secret Window) and Raymond Carver’s Why Don’t You Dance (made into a Will Ferrell movie Everything Must Go) I am yet to see a decent film adaptation of Dorian Gray, but I once saw an incredible contemporary dance stage show by Sydney Theatre Company.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I am currently reading a paperback edition of Ann Leary’s The Good House, an unreliable narrator first person recollection of a local middle-aged alcoholic real estate agent, fictional, but very realistic. It has been fantastic. I also have Dathan Auerbach’s Penpal on the nightstand, a creepy look at childhood memories.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?
I loved Enid Blyton, then a bit older I read everything by Robin Klein, John Marsden, and David McRobbie. I also liked by Babysitters Club, I’m sure I collected every book in that’s series, and was a huge fan of the horror writer Christopher Pike.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I tried reading Madame Bovary, as I love the storyline, but it is a difficult read. I never made it. I have a few thick classics sitting on my shelf that I have been too daunted to start  - yes I’m looking at you Atlas Shrugged and War & Peace.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I don’t think I ever would. I like my name and I like building rapport and reputation with my name. I might not have much in this life, but I will always have my name. I get a bit like John Proctor in The Crucible “Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! … How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!”

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Angela Carter, Richard Dawkins, John Irving

Where can readers follow you?

Blog: sniggerlessboundulations.webs.com
Facebook Page: facebook.com/morganleighbell
Goodreads Author Page: www.goodreads.com/author/show/7790406.Morgan_Bell
Twitter: @queenboxi
Google+: plus.google.com/+MorganBellAuthor
Amazon: www.amazon.com/Morgan-Bell/e/B00HXEIDA0
Tumblr: queenboxi.tumblr.com
Other: www.lulu.com/spotlight/morganbell

1 comment:

  1. Hello readers, I am the author featured above. Here is a link to a couple of promotions I currently have going to celebrate the release of my book Sniggerless Boundulations: http://sniggerlessboundulations.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/42461630-giveaways-50-etsy-gift-card-50-amazon-gift-card

    ReplyDelete