Saturday 17 May 2014

PROMOTION & INTERVIEW - POSSESSION OF MY SOUL - THE THREE IMMORTAL BLADES BY KIA CARRINGTON_RUSSELL

Title:  Possession Of My Soul
Series: The Three Immortal Blades
Author: Kia Carrington-Russell

BLURB supplied by Author
Karla Grey is an ordinary young woman that is taken from her mundane life into a world of blood lust as she begins to struggle with a unique ability. Karla is a Shielder; an exceptional fighter born with the rare ability to project a Shield for protection. However, Shielders are not the only kind that possesses such a talent. The Shielders battle a war that has been raging for centuries against the Starkorfs, who harvest humans and Shielders alike to obtain a near immortality.
Alongside the charming Lucas and selfless Paul, Karla must unravel the purpose of her curse and battle an unknown presence manipulating her thoughts; a mysterious woman who may be dormant for now, but has every intention of possessing Karla-mind, body, and soul.


Within this new reality that Karla faces the search for the Three Immortal Blades begins.
AUTHOR INTERVIEW
Kia Carrington-Russell is a young author working on her first series: “The Three Immortal  Blades”. Kia began writing at the age of fifteen in high school- finding that all her warped and strange dreams were giving her a fantastic new world- and since then she has never looked back. Kia was born in a small town in Australia, moving around a lot at a young age until finding a stable town where she finished her schooling. Kia found herself enjoying and expressing herself through poetry, short stories and writing, photography, painting and drawing. All these mediums help Kia express the different world that she is so fond of.
In ‘Senior Art’ Kia focused on feminism and female empowerment; exposing through her work issues and concerns that many people would rather just “sweep under the rug”.
In one art installation, Kia made a bed out of Pokémon cards- the concept being that when she slept a new world would come to life and it was the only one she saw and constantly lived in. Kia now focuses on her photography, writing and self-help blogs on her website: ‘Precious Living’.Kia is now keenly working on “The Three Immortal Blades” series knowing that this book has to be shared with the world and that is what she aims to do now.
Kia writes in her Australian home, trying to focus at times on simply what is running through her head, as her cats either terrorize her legs as scratching posts or her puppy barks in her ear for play-time. And as she continues her series, they grow with her book.
Kia is strongly supported by her friends and family and thanks them dearly for being with her along the bumpy road and nothing would please her more than having your support as well.

What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Kia Crystal Carrington-Russell. I was born in Maryborough Queensland Australia and currently live in Dalby.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I have always loved writing and anything that helps me express my imagination. I love painting, photography, digital manipulation, poetry etc. However I never thought of myself as a writer for a career path until the last couple of years. At first I wanted to be a vet/ zoologist as I have a love for animals, until I realised I hated the thought of putting an animal down even if it were kinder. And I have a light stomach I can’t handle the alcoholic clean smell of the surgery room or the smell of blood.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
On a career level I have used it a lot heavier since the beginning of this year as I am now a published author.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Yes. I was fifteen when I started on the first book then I found other priorities being youthful and have finally got back on track with it and am now publishing.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
Yes I have a few actually. I have a full time job during weekdays as a Weighbridge operator. During the weekend’s I work at a Fish and Chip Shop Takeaway and I am also a consultant for two Party Plans- PartyLite and Nutrimetics.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Possession Of My Soul- The Three Immortal Blades
Passionate, stunning, eerie and thought provoking.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
A Proud self publisher- Crystal Publishing

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
Phantom Wolf so far has been my easiest as it is a smaller novel and I was writing it for my best friend who I cherish dearly. So there were a lot of similarities amongst the characters. My Three Immortal Blades Series is taking a little bit longer as the storyline itself has a lot more going on and needs a lot more hours and attention.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I definitely love Fantasy however I am also an enthusiast for self-help, affirmations and poetry. I currently have a blog set up- Precious Living in which I post weekly self-helps x affirmations and also stories of real people who have had severe and unheard of misfortunes and yet can reflect on it strongly and has gotten through. It is all very inspiring to me.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Possession Of My Heart- The Three Immortal Blades (Book Two) is coming soon. I am eagerly writing it and loving every part. I also have a third and prelude for this series; and another two novels on their own on the way.

What genre would you place your books into?
Urban Fantasy/ Ya/ Romance

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
It is what I have always loved to read. I am a dreamer and love anything magical and fantasy it makes everything have endless possibilities.

Do you have a favourite out of the books you have written? If so why is it your favourite?
So far it is Possession Of My Heart- The Three Immortal Blades. I am enjoying writing it so much and there are so many new and fabulous characters in this one, and it still has the great ones I love from the first.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Yes but I can’t give it away as they have not yet been revealed until Possession Of My Heart is released.

If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books which would you be? and why?
Once again- Book Two. Sorry guys.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?
My plot ideas have always originated from my dreams. When I sleep I dream a lot and well some of them are pretty epic. So from that I begin my plot and already have a visual on certain scenes.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
Usually when I write I am not alone. I have one cat on my lap, the other on the top back of my chair and my beautiful dog at my feet.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
Yes I have many people read over my book as I want it to be everything it can possibly be and more. I have family, friends and strangers read it.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Of course, I love to read everyone’s perspectives, even though it is always a little bit daunting because not everyone may like it. But I know I will be touched by those who do. And that is why I write. I hope to be a well respected author.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No. What that reviewer might dislike someone may absolutely love. How can I be bias even if it is my own book. And sometimes when others are looking at purchasing a book they shift through the bad reviews first.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
Through my journey of self publishing I have met an amazing cover artist who I now claim to be a close friend. Her name is Ynne Black and if you would like her details contact me through my website and I will give it to you. Her work is amazing. I give her the detail and a rough sketch as to what I would like and step by step we create something spectacular.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
I have a rough idea as to how they act and their personality is. But they always grow on me. There is always something that changes but just makes them that much more lovable.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?
My plot is in my head and I write how I see it. First draft these leaves some plot holes and a little bit of uneven flow but then I have the writing in front of me and can change it as much as I please.

How do you market/promote your books?
I like to think of many different ways. And outside of the box ideas. Recently I have had my book turned into a game in which you can find the link on my website. I love promoting my book as it is something I am passionate about and believe in.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
Yes. I ran into the Writers “Block” extremely hard when I once had a terrible review. I really doubted myself which is why it is great to have such a supportive network. I left it for a few days and then came back to it taking that ill review as a challenge. And then boom off I went.

What do you do to unwind and relax?Do you have a hobby?
I like to paint, sketch, meditate and if I am having a non-productive relaxing day I usually snuggle into bed with some popcorn and watch some anime or read a book.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
Yes my book Phantom Wolf was somewhat based on my best friend Keeley. Although not all traits were hers the outline of the character was based on her.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I have always loved going into a bookstore and purchasing my own copy. I am not much of an ebook reader. I love browsing in a bookshop and flicking through real pages of a physical copy and then adding it to my bookshelf to showcase.

What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
My favourite book is the Graceling series from Kristen Cashore. When first reading it I loved the twists and think she has a natural talent for expressing twisted stories. Love her work.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
No as much as technology is advancing and may very well take over the purchase statistics from readers I still think there are far too many people who love physical books.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I was heavily complimented for my creativity in my senior years of both English and art. However my biology teacher didn’t like it too much. He always told me he wanted facts and not the story of the people that lived in the trees.

I hadn’t realised until recent years but many of my family compliments me for some of the things I wrote at a younger age and can’t fully remember so perhaps I was always a born writer but only discovered my potential in recent years.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Don’t give up. It is hard work. As amazing as it is to write down as soon as you have written 100 pages with 100 more to go, you begin doubting your plot and likability of your book. It is a huge mind game. You must push through against yourself and all your doubts. Secondly, just write. You really must set aside so many hours a day/ week or you will lose momentum. However don’t push it if you are not in a writing mood then don’t touch your manuscript or it will show in your written work.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
No. I am proud of my work and I want to represent my family name with pride and respect.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?
Kristen Cashore, Isobelle Carmody and Cassandra Clare.

Where can readers follow you?

Your Website ?
Your Facebook Page?
facebook.com/TheThreeImmortalBlades

Your Goodreads Author Page?
goodreads.com/kia_crystal

Your Twitter Details?
@kia_crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment