Wednesday 11 September 2013

DOUBLE REVIEW - UNEXPECTED BY FAITH SULLIVAN

ISBN: 978-1483933696
ASIN: B00C112I7O
Series: n/a
Publisher: Self/Indie
Pages/File Size: 168pages/352KB
Formats Available: Paperback, E-Book

BLURB from Goodreads

One day forever changes the destiny of college overachiever, Michelle Rhodes.

Shattered, confused and alone, no one understands the trauma consuming her until she meets Connor Donnelly.

A native New Yorker, he believes he can aid in getting her life back on track. But what if he's even more broken inside?

Offering her a chance at a fresh start, Connor convinces Michelle to move in with him. Hiring her to waitress at his bar, their mutual attraction only complicates matters.

As more details surrounding Connor's past emerge, Michelle uncovers the full magnitude of the loss he's trying to hide. Refusing to let her feelings for him hinder his recovery, she makes a decision that winds up hurting them both.

By sacrificing her heart, Michelle thinks she is helping Connor come to terms with his grief. Little does she know, Connor is gambling everything for the sake of having a future with her.

What happens is truly unexpected.


MY INITIAL THOUGHTS (JEANZ)
After Faith contacting me and telling me that a % of the sales of this book is going to charity I was even more eager to read and review it. Having said that I will be treating the book like any other book I read and review in giving my honest opinion only. I do think it is great that Faith is giving money to such a fantastic cause. I have to say that it is a time in history no one will every forget, I can certainly remember watching it all happen on TV as I was getting ready for work that day. Then I remember going to work where it was all anyone could talk about, It was a very surreal experience. I have never visited the site but I can imagine the emotions it would invoke as I had an emotional reaction to just seeing it on TV.

MY REVIEW (JEANZ)
I received this e-book direct from the Author Faith Sullivan with the request for my review to appear on 10/9/2013 as I was previously booked that day I suggested the 11th which I think makes what Faith is attempting to do and the book all the more poignant. As with all my reviews it will be my honest opinion.
The is set just after the 9/11 attack and goes over the emotions and trauma people were going through after the drastic event. The book tells how Michelle watches the events and aftermath of the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers. Even though Michelle is safely in her apartment blocks away from the incident she is traumatized by what she see's on TV and in the area outside her window. the people fleeing the incident and the aftermath of the terrible act. Where the wall of messages is. The place where people are leaving messages for lost loved ones. Michelle feels so distraught that she leaves her college place and returns home.
Whilst at home she meet a friend (Conner) of an ex-boyfriend who has a proposition for her. He'll help her overcome her fear of New York, by giving her a job in his pub Donnelly's, then once she'd settled down she can return to college. Michelle finally accepts as she would like to return and well . . . . Connor is rather good looking.
All seems to be decided and Connor seems a great guy, a great guy whose moods change really quickly for some reason. the reason? He too is suffering emotionally due to losing someone who was like a brother to him. Daniel, Connors friend was a firefighter. Daniel was one of the firefighters that responded to the emergency call to the Twin Towers.
Will there be a romance? There could be from Michelle's point of view, but Connor promised her parents not to make a "move" on whilst she was feeling vulnerable. 
Who ends up helping who the most emotionally? Then there's a problem at the bar Donnelly's. Is Connor leaning too heavily and taking Michelle for granted? Has Michelle interfered or bit off more than she can cope with?
So did I enjoy the book? Yes, I normally avoid books to do with terrorism as I thing some books are apt to glorify it or give it more attention. This book however is just basically set around that time and tells a simply emotional, poignant tale of how people were affected by it all. the book is slower paced than I normally read, but with this story it works being a little slower. It's a very uplifting book, there's no downward spiral or intense tears, it really is a message that life goes on and the terrorists cannot and will not ever win. There's a feeling of camaraderie and kinship in the scenes described that are set at ground zero. The tragedy is not pushed down your throat it is part of the story being told.
Would I recommend the book? or those who love Faith Sullivan, or a great story where good triumphs over evil, a lovely romance and a poignant read yes! I recommended it to my mum to read and her review will also be shared on this blog. I read it all in one go too! Would I read another in this series? I think that this book is a standalone one. Would I read more books by Faith Sullivan? Definitely! I already have read the Heartbeat Series so far and intend to start to read the Take Me Now series.

MY MUM ENA's REVIEW
Truthfully when my daughter suggested I read this book my initial reaction was that I wasn't keen on reading it and that I wouldn't like it anyway. Why? I don't like reading books about tragedies so recent as the Twin Towers. I think some books glorify such events and so publicise those very people that should not be given the time of day.
Once I got over that and was coerced by my daughter and reassured by her I decided to give it a go. The book was quite slow paced for me and at times I became a little impatient and felt like shaking Michelle and Connor! It was obvious they were made for each other. I mean even all the other characters could see it! The book is well written and doesn't wallow or glorify the act of violence. It just feels like the genuine story of two people who happened to be in the area when "it" happened.
So did I enjoy? Yes, though not as much as my daughter enjoyed it, looking at her review. What would I give it out of 5? 3.5/5
Would I recommend the book? Yes, it was a decent read.
Would I read other books by Faith Sullivan? I have read the Heartbeat Series so far.

PURCHASE LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment