Tuesday 30 April 2013

THE ELITE BY KIERA CASS

ISBN: 9780062059963
ASIN: B00AQLGXTU
Series: The Selection Series
Publisher: Harper Teen 
Pages: 272
Formats Available: Hardcover, Paperback, E-Book
Expected Publication Date: 23rd April 2013

BLURB from Goodreads
The hotly-anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestseller The Selection.

Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.


MY REVIEW
I was lucky enough to receive an e-copy of The Elite from Harper Teen via Netgalley. So an enormous thank you to them first of all. Now the cover, I have to say attracted my attention as soon as it was released for us all to see. So the cover theme is staying similar, in that it is a picture of America in a gorgeous dress. I love the striking pose and the dress that America is wearing on this cover. I also like the mirror images of her too. Maybe they represents all the sides of her, like the side that belongs to Aspen and always will, her side for her family, her side she will have to develop for the public etc etc. I think the bright orange of the dress will definitely make sure that the book pops out at you from the bookshelf. The look that America has on her face on the cover is one of determination and there are times in the book when she does have to be very determined. Though her and Maxon have a "special" relationship, america still has to worked hard to keep and maintain her place in the competition. So would I pick this up from a book store shelf? Definitely I would have to snatch it up quickly before someone else did!
Now to the blurb will that aid in the selling of the book? I suppose it's difficulty to answer that as having read Bk#1 in this series I already wanted to read BK2 anyway regardless of cover or blurb. I think the blurb tells us, the reader enough without giving away all the action and all the information. When I'd read the book my daughter's first question was, well who did Maxon choose and I answered that the Selection hadn't finished there were still x amount of girls left. Her next question was well what on earth happens if there's still x amount left. So I had to try and explain to her without giving spoiler (note I said x amount, I aren't even telling you who or how many are left, you should discover it your self as I did). So what can I say. The book is filled with action, drama, emotions and unexpected little twists too. The book covers america swaying between the two men in her life, Maxon and Aspen. Then she deliberates if she did marry Maxon could she really take on board all what a Princess then Queen would have to. there's a traumatic event that seriously makes her doubt Maxon and what sort of person he really is. Then of course there is all Maxon's feelings and emotions covered in the book. Does America truly love him and trust him . . .does she understand what being a Princess and later a Queen would entail.
There is also lots of action happening around the rebels, both Northern and southern attacking. The attacks are happening more frequently and the Southern Rebels are becoming more and more destructive in their attempts of getting to the royals. They are even against the whole Selection process so it seem's the girls are in danger from the rebels too. The pace of the book varies, it was a little slow at the begin, and I was like "come on get to choosing already!" then things changed the pace picked up and there were other influences at work and the girls tasks they had to complete which all made interesting reding. Obviously as there are less girls we learn more about them as individuals. The tension and competition is growing even more. So did I enjoy the book? Loved it! Would I recommend the book? I'd recommend the series so far! Will I be wanting to read BK#3? I would love to read it as soon as it's available! am definitely looking forward to the conclusion as it is not obvious at all at what will happen. The "anything can happen" vibe is still running through the book. Kiera Cass is keeping us all on the edge of our seats to the very end. In fact not only do we have a Will she? Won't she? situation with america, we now seem to have something very similar from Maxon's point of view, it's Will he? Won't he pick America? There is so much that could happen. Would I read other books by Kiera Cass? I would definitely take a look at anything she writes!

So now you have read my review, what is YOUR opinion? Maxon or Aspen, who should America choose? Who would you choose for America? Who would YOU choose if YOU were America?
Or maybe we should look at it from Maxon's point of view? Who should he choose? Should he choose with his head? Thinking of the best for his inter country relations? Should he think with his head, who could handle being a queen? Should he choose with his head, and choose whom his father would like? OR should he simply think of himself for a change and choose with is heart and what he feels?
Why not leave a comment or two I'd love to know what everyone else thinks too. . . .I have my own inklings and thought where this plot may go. . . but I'd love to know what YOU think?
Have you registered YOUR opinion on my poll yet? (it's on the left hand side bar)


No comments:

Post a Comment