Sunday 9 September 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - J.A. REDMERSKI





When did you first consider yourself a "writer"?
At the age of 13, I started writing a story based on some ‘made up’ future-telling cards that my best friend and I made. Silly, I know, but it really was when I knew I wanted to be a writer. I’ve been writing ever since and it’s always been the one consistent thing in my life.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
I’m currently working on Book Two in the Darkwoods Trilogy titled KINDRED. Of course, there will be one more that will end the story of Adria and Isaac, but it will not be the last ‘Praverian Chronicle’. More on the Praverians and why they will link all of my book series’ will be revealed soon. 

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing?
One thing I have learned is that, for me, the best way to avoid writer’s block is never to stop writing at the end of a sentence or scene, but instead right smack in the middle of it. I read this tip through another author (can’t remember who!), and have found it so helpful that I almost feel I owe him/her a big, fat thank you cake. Stopping in the middle keeps your mind fresh and keeps you thinking about it. When you go back into it the next day, you already know what you’re going to write and chances are you’ve had time to create in your mind even more than you had the day before.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Right now I do, and I admit I’m sort of obsessed with them, which really isn’t a healthy thing at all. But I appreciate any reader/reviewer who actually takes out the time to read my work at all. It doesn’t matter whether they liked it or not, the fact they were kind enough to give it a chance means a lot to me. Also, reviews offer a lot of helpful insight.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
Right now, I do my own covers (except for my novel, DIRTY EDEN – a friend did that one). I’ve been doing graphics for about 10 years so I’m glad to have at least some experience with this sort of thing. As an Indie author, everything is out-of-pocket and since I’m not exactly financially privileged, it helps to not have to pay for a halfway decent-looking cover. I’ve had a great response to the cover for THE MAYFAIR MOON (and a couple negative opinions, too).

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?
I think having tried both, I will always love a good old-fashioned physical book, no matter what. It scares me to think they may be ‘extinct’ one day. 

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
Yes and no. Some have transferred fantastically (Harry Potter, The Road), others, not so much. I think one of the most disappointing transfers was QUEEN OF THE DAMNED by Anne Rice. It’s OK to change minor details and things to make a book movie-ready, but when you change something as significant as Lestat’s sire, that’s a big no-no in my opinion.

Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do Imaginative writing?
I think more than ever children are being encouraged to read and write and I LOVE it. I know Harry Potter had A LOT to do with this change and that’s just another reason why I have so much love and respect for J.K. Rowling.

Where can readers follow you?

Web Site -  http://jessicaredmerski.com/
Facebook -  http://www.facebook.com/J.A.Redmerski
Goodreads Author Page -  http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5437976.J_A_Redmerski
Twitter details - @JRedmerski

No comments:

Post a Comment