Sunday 1 July 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW & PROMOTION - LORIN BARBER




What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Lorin Barber I was born is Salt Lake City but after 6 months decided to move to the state of Washington where I live today.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I didn’t always want to be a writer. Given my choice I would have been a professional basketball player. But I didn’t get to choose teams.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I might consider myself a writer when I can quit my day job and do it full time. On the other hand I read that you are a writer till published, then you’re an author.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
It took 10 years and 4 books before I got published.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I wrote “The Secret Life” while un-employed, but now have a job to pay the bills. I hope this book catches fire and I can write full-time.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My book is “The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow”. It chronicles the superpowers developed by a super smart nerd. When the publisher read it they used the word ‘quirky’ which I think is appropriate.

BLURB from Goodreads
Copernicus H. Stringfellow, a.k.a. Nick, is not your run-of-the-mill genius. His mind is so powerful it can stop a speeding automobile or stem internal bleeding. As Nick goes about quietly doing good, he discovers that his powers are greatly enhanced by the nutrients present in Twinkies. Follow Nick on his amazing adventures in this humorous and exciting action-packed book for all ages.

Who is your publisher? or do you self publish?
My publisher is Cedar Fort Inc.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
“The Secret Life” was written over a 6 year period. I believe I could write 3 – 4 per year working full time.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
My only other book “28 Tips to become a Great Grandpa” is non-fiction and was much easier to write.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I have 4 other books in the Copernicus series on the drawing board, one in progress. Aside from those I have ideas for many more. I don’t like genres. I don’t believe this book fits in one and I don’t think I’d like the confines of a genre.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
In 2004 I spent a year living in Wisconsin without my family. The winters are very cold there and I got tired of watching Die Hard reruns so I decided to write a book. I would encourage anyone who wants to write to move to Wisconsin.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
My wife pre-reads my books and I have a daughter with a masters in English Lit who edits for me.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Yes.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes. It is sometimes painful because each book contains a part of your soul. I save all reviews because I believe that positive or negative, whether I agree or don’t, each review is part of the history of the book and history should not be re-written to one’s liking.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
I told a reviewer once that I shouldn’t have been docked ½ of a star for grammar when I’d given her an un-edited preview copy. I’d never presume to ask someone to change their opinion of my work. I might argue politics or religion but I’d never try to talk someone in to liking my work.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
The cover of “The Secret Life” is a compromise between myself and the publisher. I hated the first one they sent. They wouldn’t do what I suggested. They own the rights. We settled.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I chose the hero’s name Copernicus H. Stringfellow before writing the book. The name fit the character in my mind. Having the name really helped me develop the depth of his personality. “The Secret Life” the publisher came up with and I liked it.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?
I’ve never had an idea blockage, only a writer’s burn out. Some time away from the laptop always takes care of that. In the summer I like to get away into the outback and pan for gold. I never find any but the scenery is great.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
As I write I find my morals are not very hidden. I’m an older guy with old fashioned values and when I look back on what I’ve written I wonder if I end up preaching sometimes. None of the reviews have mentioned such things and I’ve decided that my writing is me and if you read it you’ll get what I believe. If you don’t like it stop reading.

Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
I won’t even begin to compare myself to Dean Koontz, but when I read “Life Expectancy” I was amazed at how he wove gut splitting humor into gut wrenching suspense. If I could approach that I’d be tickled.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
My wife prefers me to read ebook because I don’t need the lights on and when I stay up all night reading it doesn’t keep her awake.

What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
I believe I’ve read Dean Koontz “Life Expectancy” 4 times and I’ll definitely read it again.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
I loved both the book and the movie of “The Da Vinci Code” but the book had much more depth.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
 Not in my lifetime.

Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
I’ve started “Moby Dick” 4 times. I don’t believe I’ll start it again.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Move to Wisconsin. The winters are very cold there.

If you could invite three favourite writers to dinner, who would you invite and enjoy chatting with?  
Dean Koontz, Tom Clancy, J.K.Rowling

Where can readers follow you?

Your web site ? lorinbarber.com
 email: lorin@lorinbarber.com

Your facebook page? Lorin Barber

Your Goodreads author page
? Lorin Barber

Your Twitter details? @lorinbarber



BLURB from Goodreads
The world today is fast paced, computerized, and highly stressful. Kids need a break. Kids need peace. Kids need a grandpa.
Lorin Barber knows from experience that it takes some effort to be a great grandpa, but he also knows that it's the most rewarding work you could do. (And besides, you can leave all the serious tasks to Grandma ) In this handy guidebook, Lorin has compiled a list of hilarious and helpful tips to turn you into the greatest grandpa on the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment