Saturday 23 June 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - PAYAL ROY






What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Payal Roy. I was born in India. At present, I live in Europe.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
Writing has been my passion since my childhood, but I didn't think about it as a profession until about six years back. I am and I always would like to be a management professional in retail, finance or marketing by day and a writer-author by evening after I finished my daily job. So, I am still pursuing both sides of these diverse and interesting professions and loving both.

When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
I first considered myself as a "writer" after I began writing short stories and poetry volumes during my graduate school days.

Did it take a long time to get your first book published?
Well, to be honest it did take a long time to get my first book published. That's because, I wasn't a professional writer in the beginning and so I had all my work scattered about me in bits and pieces. When I decided to take up this passion seriously, I gradually collated my work, and became more orderly and disciplined as I began writing with full devotion. So, it took quite a while to get my first book published.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is named : 12 Precious Anecdotes from Life
In less than 20 words if I'd summarise : 
12 riveting stories take you into depths of each character who share fascinating secrets which influence our lives everyday. 

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
This ususally varies from plot to plot and genre to genre. On an average if my mind is excited with an original idea and wants to express it as quickly and as creatively as possible, I would take a minimum of 2 months to write a novella or a poetry volume. At other times, when I am writing a novel - a fat book, it would take me normally 6 months-8 months to develop and nurture an original idea followed by the writing steps and finally finishing writing the novels.

Which of your books were easier/harder to write than the others?
I would say writing poetry is easier for me , it comes to me naturally. My latest poetry ebook Memoirs: The Soulful Recollection Friendship and Life is available for download at the Smashwords and the Barnes and Noble Book stores.
Writing short stories-novella and novels take up a lot of time, and some good mind workout to put together the plot, develop each character, breathe life into each of them in the stories, develop the backdrop for each story, so on and so forth. I have most enjoyed writing my latest novella 12 Precious Anecdotes from Life in these past few months.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
You can expect from me a host of fictional works- novellas, poetry and novels in the future. At present I am mainly focusing on writing novellas of the Contemporary fiction- family, drama, adventure and inspirational genres. My poetry volumes are based on thematic genres bordering around speculative, fantasy and realistic poems.
I am also looking forward to writing books of the science fiction and fantasy genres with a touch of action, romance, inspiration and adventure in the future.

What genre would you place your books into?
Presently my novella 12 Precious Anecdotes from Life would fall into the genre of Contemporary fiction-family, drama, adventure and a touch of inspiration and my poetry ebook Memoirs: The Soulful Recollection Friendship and Life would fall into the Thematic genre bordering around nature and the moments from life.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I find that nature in all her beauty has this miraculous ability to inspire and rejuvenate my mind. So, I am inspired to write that genre of book from nature, from optimistic and positive views on life, from the multitude of events that occur in my life and leave some notes of bittersweet wisdom and of course from the books I come across that take me into their own world of fantasy, fiction and intrigue.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
I love all the characters in my book 12 Precious Anecdotes from Life, but amongst them my favourite is the lead protagonist in my book. Her name is Anita Maher.
Anita is the common friend of the 12 characters who bump into her so suddenly, and their secrets begin to unravel gradually. Anita is always enthusiastic about a new find, she holds special moments close to her heart and is always in search for uniqueness and has a never give up attitude. A free spirited person, she hates being tied down, and is ready to learn from the events taking place about her and exudes a mix of various emotions. I found her to be the perfect protagonist for my book and my favourite character.

Where do you get your book plot ideas from?What/Who is your inspiration?

I am a nature lover and a traveller too. I am inspired by nature in all her magnificent beauty and her miracles which we observe each and every day from the brilliant sunrise to the amazing sunset. I also draw inspiration to develop my book's plot and the characters from the events happening around me which help me learn a little bit about life each and every day.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
Well, I don't quite have a specific routine. Writing depends upon my mood, and when I really feel like writing, I sit down and begin to write. That happens every day. If I decide to rejuvenate, I go on a stroll amidst natural landscape and also listen to my favourtie genres of music and read books.

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them?ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
As a matter of fact I do have people who review my manuscript before I officially release them. I have a few beta reader friends, who are kind enough to give me some of their valuable time to go through my finished manuscripts and point out any mistakes made, before I officially release my books.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Yes, I read all the reviews of my books. Reading the full review helps me understand if I need to further work on my books, the characters or the plots. It also helps me to understand the segment of readers and their psychology and what would make them more attracted towards my works.

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?
No! Absolutely not. I would never think of doing that. If there is any negative review it would help me to improve my writing skills and techniques about character development and story line. In this profession, writers are bound to receive mixed reviews both good and bad. 

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books?Who designed the Cover of your books?
 The Title and Cover Designs depend on the brief outline I prefer to make before I plunge full into writing the book. As the stories develop and the plots become clearer for my novellas, I refine the title and the suggestions for the cover designs.

I myself designed the cover of my book 12 Precious Anecdotes from Life, but some of my friends are my best critics while creating a design as the final Cover page.


Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I prefer to first choose a rough outline of the Title while I write the book simultaneously. After I finish writing the book and reflect upon the story lines and the characters, I refine the book Title and modify it to give it a final touch.

Are character names and place names decided after there creation? or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
The character names and place names are decided after their creation. I first develop/invent the characters and places, and then give them the names.

Do you basic plot/plan for your book, before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?

I do a bit of both in this case. That means, first I write the basic rough plot of the book and then I begin to build up on the plot. Once my writing starts flowing, the story lines seem to appear before my eyes and the writing keeps on developing the stories to their respective destinations.

How do you market/promote your books?
My book is currently available in digital format. So, I tweet, use social networking websites like Facebook, Stumbleupon, Tumblr, attend writing and reading groups, online Library groups, Goodreads, and other niche like-minded reading forums. I also tinker around with Digg, Delicious, blog frequently, and visit countless blogsites of like minded people in the virtual world. That is how I promote my books online. 

What do you think makes a book a really good/bestseller ?
I think first and foremost we authors have to write a great book.. not a good book, but a great book. What does that mean? It means the plot of the book needs to be researched thoroughly, the characters need to be very much alive, as if they would draw the readers into their own little world, the readers would virtually live, breathe and feel what the characters are facing or doing in the book; and most importantly, the writing style of the author -- readers should be able to understand easily the message and the storyline of the book. If all these vital points are met, then the book can become a  good/bestseller with time, when the next step which is the marketing/promotional efforts are launched for the book. However, if the book is not good no matter in whichever popular genre it may belong, marketing and promotions wouldn't matter much either. For a book to be a success, it needs to be great and touch the reader's heart and soul.

Have you ever suffered from a "writer's block"? What did you do to get past the "block"?

Yes, I have suffered the "writer's block" on many occasions. It had earlier delayed my previous works. I held on to the daily schedule, kept on persevering and telling my mind to get over it, and often read other books that were my favourite. I had a pen and a paper kept in front of me during these phases, and if a fragment of an original idea would flash in my mind during these phases, I would immediately note them down. During these times, I would often relax my mind and get back to writing a little every day, until the "block" was gone. Then I would write with renewed vigour again.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
Not all my books contain outright morals. However, my books carry hidden messages which the readers can unearth once they have finished reading each chapter of the book.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I prefer books in ebook and paperback formats.

What is your favourite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?
My favourite book is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I love the author's style of writing and how she has so sincerely portrayed each character of the novel with such beautiful detail and a fine,tender flourish. I was literally drawn into their little world and practically lived and breathed each and every moment in the book with the characters.

I have read this Classic Literature more than once, multiple times
.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst  book to movie transfer?
I feel not all books transfer well to movies. For example  I loved Dan Brown's Novel  Da Vinci Code, but didn't like the film adaptation that much. On the other hand, I read all the Harry Potter novels, and I liked almost all their adaptations to the famous Harry Potter movies.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(e-book, hardback or paperback)
I am currently reading 2 books. One is an e-book titled The Sunbird by Wilbur Smith and another is a paperback titled The Habsburg Monarchy (1809-1918) by A.J.P. Taylor. I am enjoying both the books and alternate between them.

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I read a lot at school. I am an avid reader from a very little age, since I began going to school. I love books and I wrote stories and novels now and then during my earlier years when I was still at school. I have been a writer since my childhood, but to highlight it as one of my professions is somewhat a new thing for me.

Did you have a favourite author as a child?
Yes, as a matter of fact, my favourite author in my childhood was Enid Blyton. She will always be my favourite author from childhood. I loved her Famous Five series, Secret Seven series and other children's mystery books as well as her books about fairy tales.

Do you have a treasured book from your childhood? If yes, what is it?

I do have a treasured book from my childhood. It is titled :  A Book of Fairies by Enid Blyton.

Do you have a favourite genre of book?
I would say I prefer reading genres like Contemporary fiction, fantasy, thrillers and literary fiction.

What do you think about book trailers?
I think book trailers are a great way to promote a book written by the author. Booktrailers need to be done meticulously and very carefully, as the viewers would see the idea / summary/ message from the book, before they even decide to sample it. So, the booktrailers need to be perfect to attract the readers to the book.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
I would say, we should always take part in group discussions about writing tips and resources with fellow experienced author friends, read lots of books, the reading habit has to be there and write down ideas that hit our mind all of a sudden. When writing, we write with our heart and soul, persevere and keep the focus to make the book our masterpiece, so that it strikes a chord with the readers when they read our work. 

Where can readers follow you?

 My Amazon Author Page :
 http://www.amazon.com/author/payalroy

 My Blog : http://musewithcoffee.wordpress.com

 My recently created Facebook Author Page :
 http://www.facebook.com/AuthorPayalRoy

 
My Goodreads author page : http://www.goodreads.com/P_Roy


And any other information you wish to supply?
My latest e-book 12 Precious Anecdotes from Life about which I have shared some details with you earlier is out now at Amazon US, UK, France and Germany Kindle Book stores.

Download this book for FREE on June 23 and June 24, 2012 -- This Weekend and enjoy a riveting FREE read of 12 short stories. The book is also available to members for monthly borrows. The book can also 
be read by anyone without a kindle, by downloading the free, kindle reading applications for PC, laptop or tablets-iPad etc.


Book Synopsis: This summer, have a look at this novella-12 short stories that set the ball of fate rolling on the court of life. Take a journey into the fascinating and intriguing world of Samantha, John, Amy, uncle Ben and Shaun amongst a dozen other faces who share their anecdotes through this book. What do they have in common? Successful and interesting people from a diverse background, their paths cross with Anita Maher. This sets off a cascade of events that compels everyone to look back at their own lives. How is Anita affected? Other people too seem to bump into Anita all of a sudden when she least expects them. Why? Does life want to convey a message to all?

12 heartfelt anecdotes from their lives kept a secret all this while, only to be revealed to Anita, when time seems limited and many ventures still left unexplored. Does life give a second chance? Find out in this book which shares their exploits and adventures through their intriguing and engaging stories.


US Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087OXSS2

UK Amazon : http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0087OXSS2

Germany Amazon : http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0087OXSS2

France Amazon : http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0087OXSS2

No comments:

Post a Comment