Thursday 22 March 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - IMOGEN ROSE




     What is your name, where were you born, and where do you live now?
      My name is Imogen Rose. I was born in Oskarshamn, Sweden, and currently live in New Jersey.

Did you always want to be a writer? If not, what did you want to be?

When I was younger, I dreamt about being a race car driver, but then became a scientist instead. Writing is not something I ever considered doing until… well, until I did it. J


When did you first consider yourself a "writer"?

I guess after I published my first book (Portal) and then felt the need to continue writing the story.


Did it take a long time to get your first book published?

No, I self-published it.


Do you work another job as well as your writing work?

Not anymore. I used to work as a Research Immunologist.

.
What is the name of your latest book?

My latest book is titled Initiation. This book is the first of two prequel books in the Bonfire Chronicles series.


How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

I usually write the first draft in about a month, and then it takes 6-8 weeks to do the editing, etc.


What can we expect from you in the future?   More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I love writing YA paranormal stories, so for the near future, I will be publishing more of those. I will be continuing the Portal Chronicles as well as the Bonfire Chronicles. I may at some point explore a different genre, but for now, I’m having fun with the paranormal YA world.


Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?

Yes, this is part of a two-book set, the next Integration, will be in late May (I hope!).



What genre would you place your books into?

YA paranormal fantasy


What made you decide to write that genre of book?

It wasn’t a conscious decision. I accidentally fell into that genre with my first book.



Do you have a favourite character from your books? And why are they your favourite?

I love all my main characters (Arizona, Faustine, and Cordelia). They are so much a part of me.


If you had to choose to be one of your characters in your book/books, which would you be? And why?

Cordelia. I love that she doesn’t have any “normal” boundaries and is free to explore her emotions unbound by human conventions and rules.


How long have you been writing? And who or what inspired you to write?

I started writing in 2009 after a dream (sounds clichéd, but that’s what happened). I shared the dream with my younger daughter, who wanted to know what happened next...


Where do you get your book plot ideas? What/who is your inspiration?

I don’t really know. I just start tapping away on my computer without any idea what I’m going to write. The characters take on a life of their own. I guess inspiration comes from within and also from everything around me.


Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?

My books go through an extensive editing process before they are released. The first person to read my book is my daughter, Lauren, who is now eleven. She usually reads it chapter by chapter as I type. The next person to read it is my editor, Sue Bernstein, who is also a very close friend. After she is done, it goes through Red Adept’s editing service with copyedits and proofing. I then send it out to at least five beta readers. Once that process is over, it gets sent for a final proof before I publish it.


Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?

I gift my books to book bloggers who request them.


Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

I do, at least all the ones I am aware of. I feel it’s important to take all critiques into consideration and learn from them.


Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?

No, I would never dream of asking a reviewer to change their review or influence them in any way.


How do you come up with the titles and cover designs for your book/books? Who designed the covers of your books?

I think the titles up myself. I did the Portal Chronicles covers myself. The cover for Initiation was made by Najla Qambar, a very talented cover designer.


How do you come up with character names and place names in your books?

The character names are usually from those on my baby name list that I didn’t get to use, and the places are those that I have lived in or visited.


Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

As I go along.


Do you basic plot/plan for your book before you actually begin writing it out? Or do you let the writing flow and see where it takes the story?

I just write and let my imagination take over.


How do you market/promote your books?

This has been a learning experience. I market via social media and via ads on websites.


What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby?

Watching YA TV relaxes me... Gossip Girl, Teenwolf, Dirty Little Liars, etc.


Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?

I have... Watch out for Al in the Portal Chronicles!


Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesop’s Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

Nope, no moral messages, but plenty of not-so-hidden messages to my friends.


Which format of book do you prefer, ebook, hardback, or paperback?

I like all formats, though I do find eBook readers very convenient to carry around.


Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book-to-movie transfer?

I do. My favorite one is Twilight. And I can’t wait to see The Hunger Games movie!


What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it? (ebook, hardback or paperback)

I just finished Delirium (eBook). Loved it.


Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?

Yes, I do.


Do you think children at schools these days are encouraged enough to read? and/or do imaginative writing?

 I know my daughter is. She reads every night as part of her school requirement. And I love the creative stories she writes for her English classes.


Did you have a favourite author as a child?

Enid Blyton.


Do you have a favourite genre of book?

YA


Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?

There are several of those, but it really is a matter of personal taste, so I won’t list them here.


What do you think about book trailers?

I love them. I’m a visual person, so a good trailer will guide me to buy a book.


What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?

Let your imagination take over.


Where can readers follow you?
Facebook, Twitter and on my blog.

Your blog details?

Your web site ?

Your facebook page?

Your Goodreads author page?

Your Twitter details?

And any other information you wish to supply?





No comments:

Post a Comment