Sunday 12 February 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - DEVON ASHLEY




What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now? 
My name is Devon Ashley and I was born in Huntington Beach, California and I now reside in Texas with my husband and son. 

Do you work another job as well as your writing work? 
Usually…I think most writers have to have a day job.  I’ve been out of work for the past year but usually I have a job as a Microbiologist, either in clinical laboratories or biotech manufacturing companies. 

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre? 
Before now I had always worked on urban fantasy but I had so much fun writing romantic comedy that I’m pretty sure I’ll take another crack at it soon. 

Do you have anybody read your books and give you reviews before you officially release them? ie. Your partner, children, friends, reviewers you know?
Yep. Not only do I have a few family members I run them past but I also have a couple of beta readers who I know will give their honest opinions of the work and offer critiques. 

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews? 
Absolutely! But I usually only allow so many of these to go out, and typically pre-release. 

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books? 
The first ones, yes. But I think any writer would tell you it’s not healthy to worry about the reviews that follow. While it’s heartwarming to find a positive review, there are many that will be incredibly rude and it’s just not worth focusing on. At that point the book is out, it is what it is and you’ll never be able to write a book that everyone will fall in love with. So why let their negativity weigh you down? 

Would you ever ask a reviewer to change their review if it was not all positive about your book/books?

 No, and I would never give them a hard time about it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’ve read books I was either disappointed with or just flat-out didn’t like, and I expressed my opinion about them. Granted, there is a difference between critiquing a book you didn’t like, and being just flat-out hateful about it. I see hateful reviews all the time for books I’m looking to read and I refuse to acknowledge those opinions. Those type of reviews are useless…and it makes the reviewer look bad, not the book. 

What do you do to unwind and relax? Do you have a hobby? 
Actually, writing is my stress-reliever, though this past year it’s become a full-time hobby since I’m unemployed. But normally I would use writing as a way to unwind from day. 

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you? 
Alright I’ll admit it. There’s a little Jenna in me, or me in her. I did a lot of stupid things growing up, one very similar to jumping into a body of water and hurting myself. And once I started thinking about my high school days I started thinking about the guy I had a major crush on, so a similar version of him became Robert. 

What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once? 
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I only read it for the first time several years ago but I’ve already read it over and over and over again. I just love the tension between Lizzy and Mr. Darcy. 

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback) 
Right now I’m reading an ARC ebook of Fracture by Megan Miranda due out this January. Lo and behold another girl that drowns and is brought back to life by the guy in her life. <winks> Love the MC’s voice and I’m blowing right through it. So far I’d definitely recommend it! 

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books? 
I hope not. As much as I use my kindle, I still like to buy physical copies of the books I totally adore. And I like seeing them fill out my bookcase. 

Did you read a lot at school and write lots of stories or is being a writer something newer in your life?
I actually did do a lot of creative writing during my school years, and I received a lot of compliments from my teachers about my imagination and creativity. So it actually surprised a lot of people when I chose the field of Microbiology to study. Luckily I got back into writing as an adult just for fun…and now it’s turned into something I take more seriously. 

Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
I’m more into creativity than anything, so the authors I tend to read most are the ones that come up with new ideas first, or at least put a really cool twist to an old one. New authors I’ve really latched onto recently are Mike Mullins of Ashfall, Lauren Oliver of Delirium, Jennifer Lynn Barnes of Every Other Day, and so far, Megan Miranda of Fracture. If you haven’t already, these books are worth checking out. 

What do you think about book trailers? 
Personally, I never watch them but I know a lot of people do. Just like a lot of people tweet. I’m just a little late jumping on those bandwagons and I still don’t see myself doing it anytime soon. 

Your blog details? The Crazy Dream blog at http://devonashleywrites.blogspot.com 

Your facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/pages/Devon-Ashl...

Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/471...

And any other information you wish to supply? I run a giveaway every month for my peeps. Check it out here: http://devonashleywrites.blogspot.com/p/...

Wow! Thankyou for taking the time from your schedule to give this great Interview.....we seem to love some of the same Authors too, if you loved Ashfall by Mike Mullin try The Great Collapse by Jeff W Horton. I have readyour book now Devon, and really enjoyed it so much, there's some real funny wit in it! Check out my review that appeared on my blog on 4th Feb 2012! 

No comments:

Post a Comment