Sunday 1 January 2012

A CLOCKWORK CHRISTMAS BY JK COI, PG FORTE, STACEY GAIL & JENNY SCHWARTZ


BLURB from Goodreads


We Wish You a Steampunk Christmas 

Changed forever after tragedy, a woman must draw strength from her husband's love. A man learns that love isn't always what you expect. A thief steals the heart of a vengeful professor. And an American inventor finds love Down Under. Enjoy Victorian Christmas with a clockwork twist in these four steampunk novellas. 

Anthology includes: 

Crime Wave in a Corset by Stacy Gail 
This Winter Heart by PG Forte 
Wanted: One Scoundrel by Jenny Schwartz 
Far From Broken by JK Coi 

Stories also available for purchase separately.

I decided to try and read a few Christmas titles, so an anthology seemed a really good idea, and as I haven't read much Steampunk decided on this anthology.
I particularly enjoyed the Crime Wave In A Corset by Stacey Gail, In this novelette Roderick coddington has found out the identity of the person who stole a priceless Fabergé egg from his then dying sister. The thief is identitfied as Cornelia Peabody. Roderick believes that Cornelia is a heartless criminal......will his opinion change of her? Will Cornelia repeat her history to return the Fabergé Egg back to Roderick to try and please him and repent her awful deed and again steal the Fabergé egg from a youngster who is dying?
I really enjoyed this part of the Anthology, it was fast paced, kept you interested all the way through to the ending. Worth buying separately or within this anthology.
Next in the anthology was This Winter Heart by PG Forte. This novelette is again really good and keeps you reading and interested to the very end. the whole will they won't they reconcile, the question of is Ophelia capable of real feelings and emotions? Is Arthur really the son of her and her husband Dario? This one has you holding your breath and crossing your fingers, it also has your heart aching for Ophelia.....Is it a happy ending? Definitely buy this one too!
The third novelette in this anthology is Wanted: One Scounderel by Jenny Schwartz. This short novel is about a suffragette called Emily, who is in need of a man to front her organisation, sort of to act as the male face, and get her into the places females are still not allowed into. Sorry to say this one just didn't grab me and hold me as the first two did, it was okay, but I just didn't seem to "click" with it. I suppose you can't love every book you read then it would be really boring. don't let me put you off giving this one a go.
Finally the last novelette in the anthology is Far From Broken by JK Coi is about a deeply in love couples world being shattered when the woman (Callie) is kidnapped and tortured by the people her husband (Jasper) has been hunting. To be totally honest I tried a couple of times to get into this one and never seemed to get hooked into it...could have been because Of it being christmas and me being busy doing all those jobs you have to do at Christmas etc but ashamed to say i gave up in the end and decided to start reading another book. I will however keep this on my kindle and go back to it for another try in the future.
So on the whole I think this Christmas anthology is definitely worth buying even if you are relatively new to Steampunk as I am, you will find something you like within it's pages. I have certainly added another two author names to my list of authors I like to read!

Available from Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk £5.90 on Kindle

1 comment:

  1. I saw this one on Netgalley and debated about whether or not I wanted to read it... it looks pretty awesome though, Thanks to your review I might have to consider it more!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete