Tuesday 4 October 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - MELISA M. HAMLING







1. What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
Melisa Hamling. Born in Soiux City, Iowa but didn’t live there long. I lived most of my youth in Colorado, then moved to Nebraska in my late teens. I have lived here with my husband and three daughters since.

2. What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Twenty Weeks is my debut novel aimed at teens, preferably fifteen and above. To summarize in less than twenty words . . . something I am terrible at! But, I’ll do my best.
      An unplanned pregnancy. A friend's devastation. Maya's life teeters on a single decision. Will she get a second chance?

3. Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
The plans are already in action. I am currently working on an adult romance novel. And loving it!
Twenty Weeks is solo. I do have a trilogy, Finding Forever, which is in rough draft, but I do intend to complete the editing and final book after I finish my current novel (WIP).

4. How long have you been writing, and who or what inspired you to write?
In my head, I’ve been writing all my life. Ha! But I really started my journey in 2007. My biggest inspiration are people, all types and ages. I like to speak to the heart, trigger numerous emotions, and in the end, I hope I’ve left my readers satisfied.
    I have a lot of future ideas for novels, which have already been plotted out. If only I had more time!

5. Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Definitely. I appreciate the time one takes to review my work. It is a gift to an author to have such wonderful people who want to take the time to do reviews.

6. How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
The Title for Twenty Weeks came easily. It was the topic on the local news ‘The Nebraska Fetal Pain Law goes into effect’ that sparked the idea, and I knew just what I was going to write about.
I had several ideas for the book cover, but after pondering on them, I came up with a new idea with which is now the cover you see.
I used the very awesome and incredibly talented Willsin Rowe. He sent me a cover art form to fill out and with just a few simple answers, he magically created what was in my head! So, we all know who I’ll be using for my upcoming book  covers. ;)

7. Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I can’t say that I’ve ever based a character off anyone I know. I do, however use characteristics of people I know personally. The trilogy I wrote is based in a world, a hidden place, that I would love to live in and be the main character. The greatest joy in writing is building your own world and living in the eyes of the characters we create. Reading a great novel can do the same thing.

8. Is there a certain Author that influenced you in writing?
No. There are many great authors, but as of lately, I only want to read and support new writers. And I can tell you I have read some pretty good stuff!

9. Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
That’s easy! All three! I love ebooks because I can get it on demand. Paperback makes a better gift and I prefer it. Hardback is best for a collectible or a series. So there is something good to say for each format.

10. What is your favourite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
Well geesh! I have lot’s of favorites. There is one book that gripped me enough that I had to put the book down (to weep!). A Child called IT. It was horrible and amazing. Horrible that anyone should suffer the way David Peltzer did. Amazing that he lived to tell, and now has a son of his own.
As of lately, I have been reading independent author’s novels. I am an avid supporter of new writers and recently reading some really great stuff. There are some awesome writers that haven’t published yet and when they do, I’ll be shouting out about their novels.

11. Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
Some do, but there are always more details in novels. Stephen King’s books are always more terrifying than the movies produced.
Twilight was a good movie transfer and I never would have read the books had I not seen the movie first.

12. What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
Holy cow! I have so many! Ok, I’ll list a few I have recently read and loved along with my currently reading novels. ~Not What She Seems by Victorine E. Lieske. ~Tick Tock Run by HC Elliston. ~Rae of Hope by Wanita Mae. ~Agartha’s Castaway by Chrissy Peebles. ~House of Immortal Pleasures by Katie Salidas (naughty but awesome!) My current read is ~Karma and Melodies by Katie Salidas and so far, it’s fantastical! All of the novels/authors listed, are quickly becoming my favorites.

13. Is there a book you know you will never read? Or one you tried to read but just couldn't finish?
Yes. Dare I say which one? Probably not. She is a well-known author, but I couldn’t get past the forth chapter.

14. Are there any New Authors you are interested in for us to watch out for? and Why should we watch out for them?
There are a lot of them! I listed them above but I will mention them again.
Published: Katie Salidas, Wanita Mae, Chrissy Peebles, Victorine E. Lieske, and HC Elliston.
Future/not yet published: Tiaclare, and Veronica Colt. (pen names).
Each has the great ability to draw the reader into their wonderful creations.

15. Is there anything in your book/books you would change now if you could and what would it be?
Nothing comes to mind, so I’d have to say no, other than the trilogy, which I can still change the things I feel need to be changed.

16. What do you think about book trailers?
Love them!

17. What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Never give up. Write because you love the art of it and not for the idea of getting rich. 

18. Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I don’t believe I would. It’s hard enough to remember usernames and passwords. I’d surely stumble if I used a pen name.

Where can readers follow you?
At the moment, facebook or my blog. I am currently building a website and will post it on facebook and blog when it’s up and ready.

Your blog details?
New to blogging! Beware!
Blog title: Life is . . . Fiction.

Your web site ? 
Under construction.

Your facebook page?
Fan page: Twenty Weeks

Your Twitter details?
https://twitter.com/#!/melisamhamling

And any other information you wish to supply?
Anyone with further questions or wanting more info can contact me at the above websites.
~I want to personally thank you for taking time and interest to do an author interview with me.
Melisa M Hamling

Thankyou for taking the time to take part in this interview and being in the October Giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment