Thursday 27 October 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - K C NEAL






When did you first consider yourself as a "writer"?
Earlier this year when someone else, my publisher actually, introduced me to somebody and said, “She has a book coming out in a few months.” I remember thinking, wow, that sounds kind of official! It made me realize that I needed to start thinking of myself as An Author, not just someone who writes in her spare time.

Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I do, I’m a Medical Writer by day. I write health content for consumers, regular people who don’t have medical degrees who need information about a certain condition or about making healthy changes in their lives. I’ve written on all kinds of health topics: asthma, diabetes, back pain, depression, healthy weight, quitting smoking, exercising more, to name a few. The content I write gets edited and reviewed by several people, which was great training for being a fiction writer. It really helps to have a thick skin about your writing!

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis Series, Book 1)
Two worlds.... Corinne must learn to protect them both, but her mentor is dead and nightmares threaten to break free.

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
Yes, this is the first book in the Pyxis Series. Book 2 in the series, Alight: The Peril, has been outlined, and I plan to start writing it in November.

What genre would you place your books into?
I call it young adult paranormal fantasy. There’s also an element of romance, and the series will have some light sci-fi elements, too, as the story progresses.

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Sophie, who is a nemesis of the main character (Corinne) plays a fairly small role in Pyxis. But in Book 2, Alight, she’ll have a much bigger part in the story. I have a feeling she’s going to emerge as one of my favourites because she’s a bit brash, says exactly what’s on her mind, and isn’t afraid to challenge people. She’s got a serious mean streak, but underneath she has a really good heart. I’m looking forward to the interplay between Sophie and Corinne--there’s going to be some major head-butting--and the crazy things Sophie will say and do.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Absolutely! I gave out well over 100 ARCs of Pyxis to reviewers. And I’m setting up a form on my blog where reviewers can request a review copy any time. I’m more than happy to give out as many review copies as reviewers will take.

Which format of book do you prefer, ebook,hardback, or paperback?
I always preferred paperback in the past, but last year I got an iPad for Christmas and I started buying ebooks. I have to say I’m buying and reading many more books because of the ebook format. Purchasing is so simple, and there are tons of great books that are only a couple of dollars. Plus, now I don’t have to find shelf space to store the books I buy. I’ve definitely become a big ebook fan!

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
First, read voraciously - it’s your best training for becoming a writer. And second, get knowledgeable, experienced people to critique your work. Don’t be afraid of criticism, it’s one of the most important things you need in order to get better at writing.

Where can readers follow you?

Your blog details? http://kcneal.blogspot.com/
Your web site ? (it’s my blog)
Your facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/KCNealFanPage
Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5163997.K_C_Neal
Your Twitter details? (@KCNealTweets) http://twitter.com/#!/KCNealTweets
And any other information you wish to supply? Thanks so much for interviewing me, Sandra!





Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to do this interview!


Would you like to win a copy of Pyxis by K C Neal ? Click here


No comments:

Post a Comment