Thursday 6 October 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - CHRISSY PEEBLES







Do you work another job as well as your writing work?
I’m so happy to be here. Thank you, Jeanz for having me. Well, between taking care of hubby and kiddos, I work as a nurse at a local rehabilitation center. There’s nothing more rewarding than helping others.

What genre would you place your books into?
I think it could fit into a number of categories. It’s a YA novel that definitely falls into the fantasy/science fiction genre with a healthy dose of adventure and romance

Do you have a favourite character from your books? and why are they your favourite?
Oh, yes! I love all my characters but I love to write “Mike” scenes the most. Mike is a championship surfer from Huntington Beach, California. He has the bad boy image nailed down with his long list of conquests. No girl is immune to his shaggy blond hair, bronze-tan skin, bright green eyes, and irresistible charm. Casey (my main character in Agartha’s Castaway) should run a million miles in the other direction. But who can resist a hot surfer? Not only is he a big-time surfing star, but he’s also on a hit reality television show on MTV. He’s wild, crazy, and lots of fun. He’s always on the look out for an adrenaline-pumping adventure which makes him so much fun to write.

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
I have an awesome cover artist by the name of Willsin Rowe. He is so fantastic to work with and his prices are very reasonable. You can look him up on Facebook and see his portfolio online. We just kept playing with different images. One morning I woke up and checked my e-mail, and there was the final cover. I was ecstatic! He captured everything I wanted in a cover and more. Willsin does fabulous work and has already made my cover for book 2, so I’m beyond thrilled. If you’re curious, stop by my blog for a sneak peek.

Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I have to say Mike is based on a childhood friend of mine who is just as wild and crazy with a T-type personality. Where I live, we have covered walkways that cross over top of dangerous freeways. My “Mike” (who was 15 at the time) thought it’d be fun to act like Batman and run at full speed with a trench coat across the top of these covered walk ways to the other side. One slip and he’d have fallen to his death onto a busy highway. That’s one example out of a million. The boy was nuts, but I loved him dearly.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favourite/worst book to movie transfer?
I loved The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. *lets out a long sigh* True love can last a lifetime. How sweet is that? Love the book and the movie! Here are two of my favorite quotes from the movie:
Duke: I am no one special. Just a common man with common thoughts. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten. But in one respect I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul and for me that has always been enough.
Duke [reading]: Summer romances end for all kinds of reason. But, when all is said and done, they have one thing in common - they are shooting stars, a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity and in a flash they are gone.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)
I just got done reading Melisa Hamling’s new e-book, Twenty weeks. I really enjoyed that.

Do you think ebooks will ever totally replace printed books?
I don’t think so. I enjoy curling up on the couch with my purring kitty cat and a good old fashioned book.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is called Agartha’s Castaway. It’s about three contemporary teenagers who get shipwrecked while on vacation. And this place is anything but ordinary. *wipes forehead* There! I did it in less than 20 words. I’m a very long winded person. *smiles*
I have book 2 written (Agartha’s Last Hope) and it will be up on Amazon Kindle in November.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
My new book isn’t young adult. I am ¾ of the way through a new adventure fantasy called, The Ruby Ring. It’s about a twenty-one year old girl named Sarah Larker who returns to a cave where her sister disappeared five years earlier. She walks through a portal and is mistaken for a runaway princess on the run by a dangerous Immortal king in medieval times. Her plan is bold as well as daring—become this princess, wed the king, and slip on an ancient wedding ring that will unlock the portal. Then find her sister and run as fast as she can out of Dodge. But taking on the identity of Princess Gloria comes along with dangerous consequences; and slipping on the ruby ring comes with an even higher price.

What do you think about book trailers?
You can watch a book come to life like in a movie trailer or a music video. It’s neat how one gets a glimpse into a book in less than a minute. I think they’re an awesome way to gain attention for your book–and they even keep promoting while you’re sleeping. Willsin Rowe made my trailer also. Here is the link to my book trailer:http://youtu.be/viwT0M8Ms_g

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
It can be overwhelming to a new writer when they share their work for the very first time. Every writer pours out their heart and soul onto the pages. It can be frustrating and the criticism can be harsh. Not to mention, you don’t get paid a whole lot either. I once had a writer tell me I would never make it. That my work was crazy and that I’d never make a dime. I cried. Couldn’t this lady understand I was writing fantasy? I ate a tub of ice-cream. (okay, not the whole thing) Then I cried some more. Maybe a little more. (Okay, so maybe I did eat the whole entire tub, but c’mon on, I was devastated!) I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t be strong like the heroine (Casey) in my book. Why was I being such a baby? But let’s face it. Comments like that hurt all the way down to the inner core of your being. It still does to this very day. My advice would be to write the best that you can, never ever give up, and always be proud. Keep working on writing technique, character development, plot, voice, dialogue, flow, style, and point of view. But most of all, have fun with your writing. Put on your favorite tunes, crack open a Pepsi, pop some Hershey Kisses into your mouth…and then tap away. That’s what it’s all about. (Shhhh. Let’s not tell my kids about the chocolate and pop.)
Jeanz, thank you for this wonderful opportunity to be here. And thanks to all the readers who stopped by. ((((hugs)))) I hope that you've gotten to learn more about me and I’d love to learn more about you. I hope you will connect with me online. : ) 


Thank you Chrissy, for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a sneak peek into your writing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment