Monday 29 August 2011

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - JAIME MCDOUGALL

Jaime McDougall is the author of Echo Falls and also has a short story in the BestsellerBound Short Story Anthology Volume 2.


What is your name, where were you born and where do you live now?
My name is Jaime McDougall and I was born in Wisconsin. I now reside in regional Victoria in Australia. (And I am planning to live here for the rest of my life.)

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarise it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is a paranormal romance called Echo Falls. Less than twenty words is a challenge, but we'll see how I go. "Echo Falls is about finding love and strength by facing your fears and past demons."

Do you have plans for a new book? Is this book part of a series?
At the moment I am working on a contemporary romance called Love on The Fly, which was inspired by my visits to the New South Wales coast. That is definitely a standalone. However, I have had more and more people ask if I'm going to write a sequel to Echo Falls, and I am definitely considering it.

Do you gift books to readers to do reviews?
Absolutely. I have been a book blogger and been friends with book bloggers for years before my book came out. I have recieved plenty of review copies and plan to send out as many as I can. (With a preference for those who accept ebooks because of shipping costs.)

How do you come up with the Title and Cover Designs for your book/books? Who designed the Cover of your books?
Echo Falls was the working title of the novel. By the time I finished the novel, I didn't want to change it. Not only is it the city where Phoebe and Aidan are, there are also waterfalls with a legend attached called Echo Falls.
As for my cover, the wonderful Stephanie Mooney - http://stephaniemooney.blogspot.com/ - designed the ebook cover. She was excellent to work with. I designed the print cover.


Have you ever based characters on people you know or based events on things that have happened to you?
I think that even if I were to try not to base characters and events on people and things I know, I would fail terribly. Sometimes I start out with a novel and think, "Where is this coming from? What part of me is this?" only to discover later on that I had tapped into something I hadn't realized or had forgotten.
I have never deliberately put people I know or things that have happened to me in my stories, but I think every author has a piece of their world in the worlds they create.

What are you currently reading? Are you enjoying it? What format is it?(ebook, hardback or paperback)

I am reading the ebook From the Ashes by Maree Anderson - http://www.mareeanderson.com/ - and I am highly enjoying it. It's quite a sexy read with a great plot.

What piece of advice would you give to a new writer?
Start now and don't stop. There are a lot of regrets to be had in the writer's life - don't let wishing you started sooner be one of them. Even if you're not working on a novel, keep learning the craft, go to conferences, talk to other writers. Don't stop because you will regret every moment you did.

Do you or would you ever use a pen name?
I've been having discussions about this lately, believe it or not, and I definitely would. However, I think the only reason I would use a pen name is for writing something vastly different to what I write now. As an indie author, there is a lot more freedom to bounce around genres, but I wouldn't want to jostle my readers too much if I suddenly took up writing dark horror or erotica.


Your blog details? I have been known to ramble at http://www.inkyblots.com 
Your facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000882618854 - I also have an author page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaime-McDougall/250228965005681
Your Goodreads author page? http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4974068.Jaime_McDougall
Your Twitter details? @JMScribe





No comments:

Post a Comment